Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tangled up in computers

My name is Sean, and this is my fifth year majoring in English, right in the gem of the SFV many like to call CSUN. When I think about using computer technology in the classroom and all the ways I've used it throughout my education, it seems unimaginable and unrealistic not to be expected to use it in the future of teaching. My father introduced me to the computer at about six years old, one that only ran DOS at that, so I've always had an interest for machines. Not only can they entertain, but they also simplify and widen our base of knowledge immensely.

I remember when I first learned how to use the internet, mostly for basic stuff like looking up pictures of things I liked like Lego sets and Volkswagon Beetle's, and just being able to search with the internet being so new was such a thrill. Today my life is still partly consumed my the computer's great abilities. I don't use it as much for social networking like facebook, twitter, etc. though I think that direction the internet is going in will ultimately connect people and information in a way that is more important than we can even fathom now. The fact is that more people are using computers today than ever before. Computer technology is becoming more embedded in our natural environment as a stable we need to survive.

It would be not only be ridiculous not to incorporate computer technology in future education, but simply unrealistic. I personally love the fact this whole class is blog style and paperless, not only because I don't have to print anything, but also because it opens my writing up to a whole new medium where I can use and experiment with other media like music, video, and links to other people's work to give my writing more connections that can be easily accessible. I'm going to really try and keep my word to add as much extra outside media as I can because I think it will supplement my writing well. I also look forward to seeing how creative other people in class with their blogs. Ultimately technology allows a lot more freedom and creativity, especially with education that can often seem plain boring. We should all take advantage of this technology with confidence because creativity is at the base of our existence.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sean! I completely agree on the role you feel technology will play in future education. In this day and age, incorporating practically ANY form of media technology is almost unavoidable, and in some cases necessary. A lot of times students may have difficulty comprehending and dissecting a certain text or piece of literature unless some form of supplemental media is utilized.

    I also love the idea that this course requires a blog. Being asked to connect a given week’s lecture to some form of media to supplement will really get our creative juices flowing and help us understand the material from a different angle. At the same time, being able to view our fellow classmates’ blogs can help give us an idea of who that person is and how creative we can really be.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean,

    You have a great point regarding the necessity of advanced technology in education. With the help of technology education became more advanced and innovative as well as it opened up the doors to distance education, like online course which help people with rough schedule or full-time jobs to become educated.

    I truly believe that computerized education will keep increasing the educational level all over the world as any type of information spreads within seconds over the internet.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an intresting blog that you have posted you shares a lot of thing about event filming London,conference filming london and seminar filming.


    ReplyDelete